Chicken Vermicelli Bowl



I am a sucker for a crisp, fresh Vermicelli Bowl. Bring on those mouth watering Vietnamese flavours I say. When I came across this recipe for a Chicken Vermicelli Bowl online one night, my life seriously changed for the better!


The recipe belongs to Nagi over at Recipe Tin Eats. She is an absolute master at clever and creative cooking. She also shares an awesome prep video if you need an extra hand with chopping your veggies to perfection. 

Here is the link: http://www.recipetineats.com/vietnamese-chicken-noodle-bowl/

I wanted to not only share the recipe with you so that you too can have deliciously cheap Vermicelli at home but also to share some of my tips and short cuts with you.

SERVES: 4

Ingredients:

Meat and Marinade

600 - 800g / 1.2 - 1.6lb chicken thigh fillets , skinless and boneless or breast (or pork, beef or any seafood)
2 garlic cloves , finely chopped or minced
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce (Note 3)
1 tbsp soy sauce (all purpose or light)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 stalk lemongrass , white part only, bruised them sliced into pieces easy to pick out later (Note 1)

Nuoc Cham (The Sauce)

1/4 cup fish sauce (Note 3)
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup water
2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
1 red birdseye chilli , finely chopped (Note 5)
3 tbsp lime juice

Noodle Bowl

1/2 tbsp oil
200 g / 7 oz vermicelli noodles , dried
2 carrots , julienned
2 cucumbers julienned (optional: remove seeds)
5 cups iceberg lettuce , finely sliced
3 cups bean sprouts
Handful of mint leaves
Handful of cilantro/coriander
Sliced chili (for garnish - optional)
Lime wedges (to serve - optional)

Side note: I've left Nagi's notes on the ingredients and method but I won't be posting her notes on this blog. Please check out her blog to read her extra notes on the recipe via the link above. I will share my own tips and tricks at the end of the recipe.
Method:
  1. Combine Meat and Marinade ingredients and set aside for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours. (Note 4)
  2. Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Adjust to your taste (spiciness, lime, sweetness) and set aside.
  3. Soak the vermicelli noodles in hot water for 3 minutes (or according to packet instructions), then drain and rinse under cold water to stop the noodles from sticking together.
  4. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a fry pan over medium heat (or heat the BBQ). Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off large bits of lemongrass (small bits should fall off during cooking).
  5. Place chicken in the pan and cook each side until dark golden brown and chicken is just cooked through - about 6 to 8 minutes in total. Remove from pan, shaking off any remaining bits of visible lemongrass and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Then slice into thin pieces.
  6. To serve individually: Place noodles in bowl. Then either top or lightly toss through the vegetables and herbs, and top with chicken pieces. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of Nuoc Cham Sauce (be generous, ~ 4 tbsp per serving) and serve with lime wedges.
  7. To serve to share (Nagi's preferred way): Place meat and vegetables on a large platter with the sauce, and the noodles in a bowl, and let your guests help themselves.

My tips and tricks: 
* My flat mate hates lemongrass so I leave this out completely and it still tastes great.
*I use about 5 chicken thighs usually and only marinate them while I cut up all the other veggies if I'm making it as a last minute meal.
*Once I have sliced the chicken I will sometimes throw it back in the pan quickly with any remaining marinade.*I sometimes use bottled lime juice and just add an extra dashes compared to when I use fresh lime.

Again check out Nagi's site for some Insta worthy pics, here is my latest attempt.


Alysse Scotton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Macchiato's Margherita

Belly Bao

Thai Thursdays