Belly Bao

Belly Bao is a small food joint located on 184 King Street in Newtown. From my experience the atmosphere was very warm and cosy, with the theme of Asian Street Food. They're most famous for they "baos" which are steamed buns stuffed with various fillings. I had previously gone to the restaurant a few times when it was located at the Hudson Ballroom on Liverpool street before it moved to its new location, and the baos I tried were the crackling roast pork belly bao and the slow braised pork belly bao, which I strongly recommend if you ever decide to go there.

Photo by @kierachevell

I went to Belly Bao for a birthday dinner with 11 other people, and all the staff were very pleasant to deal with, accommodating to everything very professionally. The booking process was also stress free and they were fairly quick to get back to me with details in regards to my booking. 

I ordered the "chicken baoger", which consisted of crispy chicken, sarsaparilla soda reduction, cabbage, cheesy onion sauce & spring onion. I had already tried it before when I went about a year ago, and to my delight it was still just as good as I remembered. I can safely say is the most interesting and delicious burger I've ever had, the chicken was very crunchy, the flavours of the ingredients all combined perfectly and the bun was soft and light. My friends tried the BBC fried chicken and said it "is the best fried chicken [they] have ever had, hands down". Unfortunately, we did not take any pictures of the food because we were too busy enjoying it :p 

The prices were all reasonable, at $7 per bao, which may seem pricey as you only receive one, however they were definitely worth it. On average everything was $7-$15, which in my opinion is very cheap for the quality of food that you receive. 

Overall I had an amazing experience at Belly Bao, and I strongly recommend if you've never been there before and do enjoy Asian street food that you should definitely check it out. 


 Samara Lee-Sung









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Macchiato's Margherita

10 Ways To Eat Out On A Budget